No Sugar Added Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
A pumpkin muffin with a cream cheese filling. Low in fat and made with no artificial sweeteners.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 6 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (reserve 1 tbsp. for filling)
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 2 equivalent egg substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Filling (use reserved 1 tablespoon juice concentrate)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten (or 1 equivalent egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Combine flour, spices, soda, powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl bland pumpkin, eggs, and juice concentrate completely.
- Add dry ingredients to wet until they are just moistened. Do not over mix.
- In a blender or food processor, blend filling ingredients together thoroughly. This is easier if they are allowed to come to room temperature first.
- Fill 1/3 of muffin cups or tins with muffin batter. Spoon a layer of filling on top. Finish with another layer of muffin batter so that cups are just about full. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Alternative Preparation: Get a complete fat free muffin by skipping the filling and adding ½ cup of raisins to the mix for a chewy, slightly sweeter muffin.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I like these, but they are subtle. I used too much batter in the first 1/3, so I had to make another quarter batch of batter to complete the tops. I think I forgot the flour in the filling, so maybe that's why it wasn't "filling" but a coating? I don't know, but they taste good. I may try pineapple juice next time to make them sweeter. Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag.Reply
These are good, Muffins look beautiful, but they're a bit bland for my taste. The orange zest really makes the recipe. I really didn't end up tasting the pumpkin much. I would suggest not using the paper liners and instead just greasing the muffin cups because the liners really stuck. I'll mke these again and fiddle with them a bit.Reply