No-Nightshade Beef Stew With Some Germanic Inspirations
- Ready In:
- 5 lbs beef chuck or 5 lbs stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca or 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (instead of tomato sauce) or 1 cup apple butter (instead of tomato sauce)
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 turnips, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 apples, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 dash ginger
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat olive oil in stew pot to temperature where fat pops. Brown meat, onions and garlic. Add flour and coat meat and onions thoroughly.
- Add vegetables, liquid and spices. Season to taste. Simmer slowly until carrots are past crunchy (at least 1 1/2 hours).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!