No-mayo Blt Salad
photo by skat5762
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 - 1 lb maple bacon, reserve grease
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 -4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 day old baguette, cubed
- basil, chiffonade
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine lettuces, tomatoes and onions in large salad bowl; set aside.
- Mix together all vinaigrette ingredients; if desired (and you're feeling very Southern), add a drizzle of bacon grease in place of some of the olive oil.
- Cook bacon on stovetop until nicely crisped; set aside on a paper-towel covered plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, take a little of the bacon grease and place in another pan over medium heat.
- Add cubed bread and toast until brown on all sides.
- Crumble bacon over salad, add the croutons and the vinaigrette, and toss well.
- Garnish with basil, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!