- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 3 celery ribs, sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1 large potato, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sassafras leaves
- 3 grinds fresh black pepper
- 8 cups water
- Warm oil in a soup pot large enough to hold 10 cups over medium heat.
- Saute onion until golden brown.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat until reduced by about 1/4. (For me that usually takes about 2 hours). If the soup reduces too quickly before the vegetables are cooked, add a little water and continue cooking.
- You may also put all the ingredients in a crock pot and cook the soup on low for about 6 hours and high for about 3 (very approximate times!).
- Correct the seasoning--add sassafras and/or fresh black pepper if you like.
- This soup is excellent served with cooked egg noodles or garlic-flavored bagel chips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!