No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the Kitchn blog. Sounds to me like the perfect "Up North" cake. I really like that it uses graham crackers for the "cake". Posted here for safekeeping.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, washed
- 3 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 4 sleeves graham crackers (about 19 ounces, or 24 to 28 whole crackers)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Take out a few of the best-looking strawberries and set them aside for the garnish.
- Hull the remainder of the strawberries and slice each berry into thin slices.
- With a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 3 cups of cream until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Add the confectioners sugar, vanilla, and rosewater (if using) and whip to combine.
- Spread a small spoonful of whipped cream on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan, or a similarly-sized platter.
- Lay down six graham crackers. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped cream, and then a single layer of strawberries.
- Repeat three times, until you have four layers of graham crackers.
- Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and swirl it lightly with a spoon. Add a few more strawberries.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream until bubbles form around the edges, then pour over the chopped chocolate.
- Let it stand for a few minutes, then whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Drizzle this over the layered dessert with a spoon, or transfer to a squeeze bottle and use that to drizzle.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely.
- Garnish with additional berries.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION