No-Bake Crisp Rice Cereal Treats by Trader Joes (Vegan-Friendly)
photo by COOKGIRl
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (can substitute cane sugar, like "Sucanat")
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup (I used light, not dark amber agave syrup)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- chocolate chips (optional)
- 7 cups Rice Krispies
- nonpareils (aka sprinkles) (optional)
- Tip: to make measuring the agave syrup and peanut butter easier, grease inside the entire measuring cup first (I use a glass measuring cup). That way, the syrup and butter will slide right out.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar and agave syrup in a preferably non-stick saucepan.
- Bring *just* to a boil; stirring often with a non-stick utensil.
- Continue to stir until the brown sugar has dissolved. Remove carefully from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar mixture with the peanut butter or seed/nut butter of choice. Mix well. If using, add the chips, too while the mixture is still very hot.
- Add the Rice Krispies-type cereal and stir together.
- Press the mixture into the baking pan. If desired, decorate the top of the treats with Holiday sprinkles/non pareils.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours to cool and harden. Tip: to harden more quickly, cover well and place in the freezer for approximately 1 hour.
- Use a sharp knife to slice into squares.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!