Nilla Wafers Original Banana Pudding
photo by Rhonda N.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 35 -45 shortbread cookies (like "Nilla wafers", reserve 10 to 12 for garnish)
- 5 -6 medium bananas, sliced (fully riped)
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk; blend well.
- Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Spread small amount on bottom of 1 1/2 quart casserole; cover with layer of Nilla Wafers. Top with layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of the custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make 3 layers each, ending with custard.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until delicately browned.
- Cool slightly or chill.
- Just before serving, garnish with banana slices, then stand Nilla Wafers upright around edge of dish.
this is NOT the original recipe, I have the actual recipe on the box panel from a box of nilla wafers that my MOM had saved from the 70's. it called for 1/2 cup sugar there was no flour in the original it calls for evaporated milk. the recipe I have uses the following ( like I said from box panel of nilla wafers. 1/2 cup sugar 1/4tsp salt 1 14 1/2 oz can evaporated milk, 3 eggs separated, 1 tsp vanilla extract, nilla wafers, 5 ripe bananas, and 1/4 cup sugar to go with egg whites for meringue. it states to combine first three ingredients in top of double boiler, cook over boiling water until hot. beat egg yolks. remove from heat, gradually stir egg yolks in hot mixture. return to double boiler. cook stirring occasionally until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Line bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole with NILLA wafers; top with a layer of sliced bananas, Pour a portion of custard over bananas, Continue to layer wafers, banana, custard ending with custard on top. for meringue: Beat egg whites until stiff; gradually add the 1/4 cup of sugar beat until stiff peaks form. pile on top of pudding( custard) Bake in hot oven preheated to 425degrees for 5 minutes or until peaks are delicately browned serve warm or chilled.this recipe is verbatim from the panel of NILLA wafers.
I know the previous review post, by Sharon S, is old. I’m not debating the originality of the recipe, but as written will not work. A review reply to her recipe reported the custard wouldn’t thicken. Note: Sharon S’s recipe has no thickening agent, besides eggs, in it. You MUST have flour, or cornstarch otherwise it will NEVER thicken.
see 15 more reviews