Nigella Lawson's Tagliata for Two
photo by Djula G.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus some for oiling)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt (or just under 1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 12 ounces New York strip steaks (1 Steak)
- 8 ounces cherries (halved) or 8 ounces grape tomatoes (halved)
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano (to serve) (optional)
- Heat a grill pan, or cast-iron or heavy non-stick frying pan.
- In a small dish that can take the steak snugly later, combine the extra-virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt, and red wine vinegar. Oil the steak lightly and put it in the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, then remove it to the dish of spicy marinade and sit the cooked steak for 2 minutes a side in the dish. Your steak will be rare, but that's the way it's meant to be.
- Remove the steeped steak to a board, ready for slicing, and while it sits there, arrange the cherry tomatoes, cut-side down, in the marinade dish. Cut the steak into thin slices on the diagonal and arrange on a serving dish or 2 dinner plates.
- Smoosh the tomatoes around in the marinade, then pour them, and the marinade, over the ribbons of meat. Add a few leaves of fresh oregano, if you can get them, and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made this recipe quite often since I seen it aired on the Chew. It is fabulous!!! Great flavors. I have omitted the cherry tomatoes before. And I like to cook my steak just a little bit longer than suggested. I still like it pink inside, just not rare. All in all, a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing Kerena.
My husband suggested to make this for Valentines day after he heard it from NPR "An Italian-Inspired Valentine's Feast From 'Nigellissima'" ... I have made it about 4x since. It's now my go-to recipe for steak. Simple but very flavorful. I like to eat it with arugula, using the sauce/drippings as dressing.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, in California. I am now a stay at home mom after trying desperately for 9 years. With the love and generosity of my sister-in-law who acted as our surrogate we now have a beautiful little boy, Ian. I love to camp and go jet skiing with my husband and our families. We have a wonderful chihuahua named Swiffy! She is always making us laugh. We enjoy spending time with our many nieces and nephews. I am an avid reader and I'm addicted to reality television!</p>