Nif's Healthy Baked Beef Burritos
Hola Amigos! This recipe is mui bueno! A healthy and easy recipe that adults and kids will both love. You can replace the ground beef with a vegetarian meat alternative or chicken. Also, you may want to add peppers when you add the tomatoes to the beef. Serve this with the crunchy veggies listed to catch the sauce and add some cold crunch to your hot burritos. NOTE: this is a big meal and might be too much for some people. My DH and I were hungry and ate our 2 burritos but our DS's could only eat 1 1/2 and were stuffed. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, your preferred level of heat
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 8 whole wheat soft tortillas, 12 inch
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- Brown ground beef in nonstick pan over medium for 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and water and simmer for 20 minutes or until water has evaporated. By doing this, you infuse the taco seasoning into the ground beef and it tastes great!
- Add sour cream, salsa and tomatoes and stir until heated through.
- Divide mixture between 8 soft tortillas, approximately 1/2 cup each.
- Spray shallow casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Roll up tortillas - fold the sides in first until almost touching. Then roll the tortilla and place seam side down in pan to ensure that filling does not run out. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F for approximately 25 minutes, until cheese has melted and burritos are heated through.
- Place 1/4 of the lettuce and on each plate and top with 1/4 of tomatoes.
- Place 2 burritos on top of fresh veggies on each plate.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I may be one of the very few people in North America who have never made or eaten a Burrito. I think I was saving myself for this recipe! :-) I made as directed but used full fat sour cream as that is what I had on hand. I may need a burrito rolling tutorial or may have just stuffed them too full. They were more like oblong envelopes but no filling came out. We just loved these and will be making them frequently! Thanks so much for posting. Made for Family Picks ZWT 8
I think this dish has a lot of potential, and I'm sure I'll will be make it again. Before attempting this again, I'll have to figure out what seasonings to use, by reading all of the review, and see that will work for others, and than for me, to make it more flavorful or lot better for me to do! Anyway, excellent to do a SCRATCH on recipes. The more I play with my food, the more I love cooking, to make a recipe that will work for me, that is!! Than I can do the happy food dance!! I've will added this to my recipe book with my additions. THANK YOU!!