Nif's 30 Minute Tuna Casserole
- Ready In:
- 3 cups rotini pasta (or other shaped pasta, I use a high fibre version)
- olive oil, for spritzer
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped (about 1 stalk)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (3 ounce) can tuna, lightly drained
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, coarsely ground
- Cook pasta as directed. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- While waiting for the water to boil, add mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic to a nonstick pan sprayed with olive oil. Saute over medium heat until just tender. The moisture from the veggies will keep them from sticking.
- While cooking the pasta, stir tuna, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper into the pan. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese.
- When pasta is al dente, stir into pan. Pour into a casserole dish sprayed with olive oil. Cover with bread crumbs.
- Cook for 15 minutes. The higher heat will ensure that you have some crunch to the bread crumbs.
Join The Conversation
I really liked this! I normally don't care for Tuna casseroles, because they all seem to taste alike because of the "cream of" soup in it. I also used whole wheat pasta, which I could eat in this recipe, and used plain bread crumbs mixed with some lemon pepper for the topping. I agree with MsSally, may up the sour cream a wee bit. It's not a heavy meal and it's quick to fix!!
This was a great tuna noodle. I liked the fact that it didn't have cream of something soup but was still easy and quick to make. I used very roughly chopped french bread for the crumbs and I used whole wheat pasta and FF sour cream, and two cans of tuna with good results. The only thing I may change next time would be to add the full cup of sour cream with the additional tuna as there wasn't quite enough sauce.
I used white macaroni with high fibre. I cooked the veggies longer cause I wanted the celery to be cooked. I didn't want it crunchy. I omitted the garlic. I used 1 small onion. I was afraid it would be too dry and it would miss something but when I ate it for lunch today I really loved it. The taste of the mushrooms in it is great. That's very good for a healthy recipe. I used italian breadcrumbs on it. Thanks Nif :) Made for TYM tag game