New Potatoes with Green Beans, Country-Style
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 lb country ham, pieces trimmed of fat and chopped small
- 1 lb fresh green beans, tips removed,and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground marjoram
- In large pot, heat margarine with ham pieces and onion; cook until onion is tender and ham is nicely browned.
- Add green beans, potatoes, salt, pepper, chicken broth, thyme, parsley, and marjoram, stirring mixture thoroughly.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Note: If you prefer to use smoked ham in this recipe, adjust your seasoning for salt to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Great dish! Just the right amount of seasoning to give it a wonderful flavor. I did double the amount of butter to cook the ham/onions in since they were getting too brown too fast; also simmered for about 35 minutes while the rest of dinner cooked. The potatoes and beans were perfectly cooked for our liking (we like soft green beans). Will make this again! Made for Photo Tag.
Like others, I have been making this basic recipe for years too. You just can't get a finer meal than from fresh produce from the garden. I slow cook mine in a crock pot all day using smoked ham hocks, onion, seasoning, and chicken broth. Sometimes I peel the potatoes and sometimes I don't. I serve it with a pan of cornbread on the side. Yum!