New Orleans Bean Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Red beans, celery, ham and some herbs form the basis for this hearty soup from the South. Served with a crusty French bread, it's a meal in itself! Originally from a recipe card promotion received in the mail years ago.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces smoked ham or 4 ounces tasso, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter.
- Add onion; sauté until soft.
- Add celery, carrot and garlic; sauté for a few minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add kidney beans and their liquid, ham and vegetable broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and lemon juice.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve, passing the hot sauce!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION