(Never-Fail) Fish & Chips
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
2 fish filets
- white fish (cod, haddock, tilapia, etc.)
- flour, for dusting
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (use more if neccesary)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast or 1 teaspoon fresh yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup bread flour, 1/2 cup regular flour (or all bread, or all regular)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- chili powder
- celery salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- oil (for frying)
- 3 potatoes (your choice, I reccomend long white, or baking potatoes)
- Slice the potatoes into wedges or straws (depending on what size fry you'll want). Set aside in some warm-ish water until needed.
- Get the oil heated for the fries, approximately 3 cups worth.
For the Batter:
- Warm the milk and butter until the butter melts, but be sure not to let the milk get too hot.
- Mix the yeast and sugar into the milk. Leave for approximately 15 minutes in a warm place until frothy.
- Put the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre, and pour in the yeast and milk.
- Gradually work in the flour from the sides to form a thick batter, the consistency of double cream, feel free to add more milk if needed. Set aside until needed.
For the Fries:
- Dry the fries completely before setting into the hot oil. Fry until a light blond color (approx. 6-9 min)and set aside on a plate, continue until you no longer have any potato slices.
- Let the fries sit for at least 5-10 minutes (they can sit for longer if needed).
- Re-fry the fries until they are golden and puffed (about 1-5 min).Serve with salt.
For the Fish:
- Get a large frying pan and fill it a little more than halfway with oil. Heat the oil.
- Prep the fish (de-bone, so on, so forth)and dab dry. Roll the fish in a flour cornstarch combo (this is IMPORTANT because it prevents the batter from sliding off).
- After coating the fish in flour/cornstarch dip generously in yeast batter and lay into hot oil. Cook the fish until golden brown, crisp, and cooked in the center (you may cook the fish longer is you like your fish a bit darker). Continue this process until you no longer have any fish.
- Serve with the chips/fries, tartar sauce, coleslaw/peas and malt vinegar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!