Neelys' Macaroni and Cheese
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 cup potato chips, crushed
- 5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated for topping
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire.
- Stir in the 3 cups of Cheddar until it melts.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.
I have never cared for baked Macaroni and Cheese, but this recipe really carries a lot of flavor with a creamy/cheesy texture. Other than using elbow macaroni and cutting recipe in half I made as written, and yes making sure that the flour and butter mixture is cooked thru is the key. Thanks Mommy Diva for posting this delicious recipe. Made for Cook-A-Thon 4 Mommy Diva, January 2012! FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!
I'd like to offer a hint. ANY roux (rue) i.e. flour base sauce MUST cook. If it still tastes floury, you haven't cooked it properly. Always bring your roux to a boil and then reduce down. Until you actually COOK the flour it will taste uncooked ;)<br/><br/>This recipe is a good one, I personally add toasted scallions, Panco bread crumbs, parsley, a little butter and Parmesan and broil this onto ... creates a lovely crust. It's even better if you toast a little Paprika and add to the mix.
Made using chifferi noodles and left out the cayenne and hot sauce (personal preference). This was so creamy and cheesy and the addition of the bacon gave it a nice salty contrast. Both DSs really enjoyed it which is huge because my oldest says he only likes the "blue box" stuff. Will be making this again!! Made for Mommy Diva's Cook-A-Thon.
see 3 more reviews