Neely's Jumbo Coconut Shrimp
From " Down Home with the Neely's".
- Ready In:
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, jumbo, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, Japanese bread crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened coconut, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder, granulated
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Butterfly shrimp and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together panko and coconut. In another medium bowl beat eggs and dash of salt and pepper. In a third bowl mix flour, onion and garlic powder together. Dredge shrimp in flour, then eggs, then the bread crumbs.
- Place in preheated deep-fryer and fry, in batches, until crisp and golden brown; 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lines sheet tray. Serve with Zesty Dipping Sauce on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is really simple to prepare and the directions are spot-on. We used vegetable oil but kept to specs otherwise. We felt the coconut flavor did not come through as much as we'd have liked. Next time we would maybe add coconut extract to the egg mixture. We also felt that a recipe for a coconut dipping sauce would definitely compliment the shrimp. Great recipe, just needs a bit of tweeking. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)Reply