Neapolitan Cheesecake and Coconut Whipped Cream
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 20mins
8 Slices and 1 tablespoon whipped cream
For the crust
- 1 cup almonds, raw
- 12 pitted dates, Medjool
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the filling
- 3 cups cashews, raw
- 1 cup and 3 tablespoons pitted dates, Medjool
- 1⁄2 cup unrefined coconut oil, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cacao, nibs
- 1 cup frozen cherries, defrosted
For the coconut whipped cream
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut cream, refrigerated
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- To make the crust: Place all the ingredients in a food processor except for the coconut oil. Process until a fine crumb is formed. Slowly pour in the melted coconut oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the crust holds together when you squeeze it. Place the crust in a 9-inch spring form pan, pressing it firmly into the bottom of the pan in a single, even layer. Put the crust in the freezer until ready to top it with the filling.
- To make the cheesecake filling: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add in the cashews. Let the cashews soak for 2 hours. Drain the cashews.
- Place the soaked cashews, 1 cup dates, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla and sea salt in a food processor. Process until the dates and cashews have broken down into small pieces. With the food processor running, slowly stream in 2 1/4 cups coconut milk. Continue to process for 5 minutes or until the filling is smooth.
- Remove 1/2 cup of filling and set aside, this will be the vanilla layer.
- Remove another 2 1/2 cups of filling to a large bowl. Whisk in the unsweetened cocoa powder, cacao nibs and 3 tablespoons chopped dates. Set aside.
- To the remaining filling in the food processor add half the cherries. Process for 1 minute or until the cherries have completely broken down. Add in the remaining cherries and pulse a few times until there are small pieces of cherry visible in the filling.
- Check the consistency of each of the fillings and make sure they are pourable. If they do not easily pour, stir in some additional coconut milk to get the right consistency.
- Pour the cherry filling into the spring form pan. Then, gently pour the chocolate filling into the center of the cherry filling. Take your time pouring the filling so that it stays in the middle. Tap the spring form pan on the table as needed to settle the filling. Next, slowly pour in the vanilla filling into the center of the chocolate filling. Again, tap the pan on the table to settle the filling. Use a toothpick to drag the top of the cheesecake to make a design on top.
- Place the cheesecake in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set but ideally overnight.
- To make the coconut whipped cream: Carefully open the cold coconut cream. Gently scoop out the thick coconut cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment and add in the vanilla beans. Whip the coconut cream on high until it doubles in volume. If necessary, add in up to 1 tablespoon of the coconut liquid from the can to get a smooth texture.
- To serve: When ready to serve, remove the cheesecake from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before removing the sides from the spring form pan. Cut the cake into slices and serve with 1 tablespoon coconut whipped cream. Sprinkle flakey sea salt on top and serve immediately.
- Nutrition Info Per Serving.
- Calories: 993.
- Total Fat: 74 grams.
- Saturated Fat: 41 grams.
- Total Carbohydrate: 84 grams.
- Sugars: 54 grams.
- Protein: 15 grams.
- Sodium: 108 milligrams.
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams.
- Fiber: 11 grams.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!