N'awlins-Style Rice With Shrimp and Sausage
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spices
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place the pickling spice in the center of piece of cheesecloth or coffee filter. Tie tightly with long piece of string.
- Cook and stir sausage, celery, onion and bell pepper in large, heavy skillet on medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until sausage begins to brown.
- Add red pepper, thyme, rice, chicken broth and pickling spice bundle. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp and tomatoes. Cover and cook on medium heat 6-7 minutes or just untl shrimp turns pink. Remove pickling spice bundle.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.