Navy Bean Soup
photo by Gary C.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- Sort beans and place in a large pot, cover with cold water, and soak overnight. Or bring to a boil for 3 minutes, then cover, remove from heat and beans sit undisturbed for one hour.
- Drain bean water.
- Add remaining ingredients except celery and carrots to beans (including 7 cups water).
- Bring beans to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 90 minutes, stirring and skimming occasionally.
- Adjust cooking time if needed until beans are soft and tender.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for about half an hour.
- Fish out the ham hock, and when cool enough to handle, remove its meat and add the meat back to the pot.
Very simple soup with good flavor. I increased the amounts of carrots and celery to use up what I had on hand needing to add just a bit more water to give the broth needed. I blended up about 1/3 of the beans before adding the other veggies to make it a bit creamier. Will definitely keep this in my rotation of winter soups. Thanks.
This soup turned out great. I did make a couple changes, I decided I wanted to make it in the crockpot after soaking the beans all day and cooked it overnight. I used more carrots, celery and onion, about a cup of each, and also added a minced jalapeno. These were things that I needed to use up. I enjoyed a bowl for a late breakfast and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing this delicious, simple recipe.