Nasi Biryani - Celebration Rice (Brunei)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashews, chopped
- 1⁄2 small fresh red chili pepper
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large pot and fry the sliced shallots until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, leaving the oil in the pot.
- Add the minced shallots, ginger and garlic. Saute for two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, then add the rice and yogurt. Stir until well blended.
- Now add the tomato, cilantro, nuts and chile. Return to a boil, then cover and simmer over a very low flame for 40 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Garnish with the fried shallots.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">