Easy adaptable casserole. I won 2nd place in a recipe contest at my local Wild Oats market for this recipe....woohoo! .........(-_-) ..You can substitute regular cheese for the soy cheese and even substitute ground beast for the tofu..or veg meat like "Gimme Lean"
- Ready In:
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained and squeezed a bit
- 1 cup black olives
- 1 cup soy cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans (any type you like)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Heat your oven to 350.
- Put the tortilla chips in a bag of some kind and crunch them to bits (not into sand, just pebbles). Place about 1/2" layer in the bottom of round casserole dish (3-4 quart). (no need for nonstick spray).
- Put the tofu in a frying pan that you've coated with a bit of nonstick spray. Start to cook it as if you were browning ground beef. Use the taco seasoning on the tofu according to package directions.
- Start to put the ingredients on the tortilla chip base. Tofu, beans, cheese, olives, tomatoes and repeat till the dish is full or ingredients are gone (no rules).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Before serving add the lettuce, salsa, sour cream, whatever you want.could be more tortilla chips, olives, etc.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this tonight for my vegetarian daughter, she's not vegan so I used regular cheese...in fact, a 4 cheese Mexican blend. I baked it in a 13 X 9-inch pan so it was spread out a bit and I ended up doing one layer each of the ingredients. She loved it and went home with the recipe in her purse, which was a boost for me as she's very hard to please!! I used refried BLACK beans and Rotel for the Mexican tomatoes. Thanks for posting this excellent recipe!Reply
Oh WOW!! I can see why you won in a contest! I can't believe it didn't take first place! People you gotta try this one! Its really tasty, flavorful and filling. Quick to make to! My boys who refuse to eat tomatoes ate it all and had seconds!! Its really THAT good! Thanks...I am adding this to our regular dinner menu!Reply