Mussels in Sailor Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The Spanish version of the classic mussels dish
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crumbled
- 1 pinch spanish saffron, lightly crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, such as Albarino
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1⁄2 cup fish stock or 1/2 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, oregano and saffron and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir it inches.
- Add the wine and mussels, cover the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the fish stock, parsley and lemon juice and cook over high heat, stirring, until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Transfer the mussels and their sauce to deep bowls. Serve at once with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION