Mussels and Saffron Pilaf
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Similar to Paella, but this is made with only mussels.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 cup peas, thawed if frozen
- 1⁄3 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, over medium heat; add onions and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Add orzo pasta, increase heat slightly, then brown pasta, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, turmeric, and saffron.
- Add wine and chicken stock, cover skillet, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until rice is al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in mussels, peas, and tomatoes; cover and cook until shells open, about 8 to 10 minutes (discard any shells that do not open).
- Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with fresh parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION