photo by Jenny Sanders
- Ready In:
- 1 cup rice, short grain japanese (such as Calrose)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 -4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 -4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 8 -10 fresh button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Rinse the rice very well and allow it to drain for 15 minutes.
- Put it in a pot with the water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring it to a boil, then immediately reduce it to minimum.
- Stir the rice gently, then cover it and do not disturb it for 15 minutes.
- You can also cook it in a rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, break the dry shiitake into pieces (discard the stems) and soak them in the boiling water.
- Clean the fresh mushrooms, trim them, and chop them finely. (Discard the shiitake stems again - they are quite woody.)
- Just before the rice is done, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the fresh mushrooms until they are soft and producing some juice.
- Add the soaked shiitake and their soaking liquid, heat through, and immediately stir all the mushrooms, with the liquid, into the rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to garden, both perennials and vegetables. I am always looking for recipes to fiddle with, especially good simple vegetable dishes. I try to use organic ingredients as much as possible.