Mushroom Medley a Great Side Dish!
This recipe is perfect to serve as a side dish with Turkey or chicken. The recipe came from "The Chopping Block" by Philomena Corradeno - I have tweaked it a bit. You may make ahead and reheat just before serving. I like a fairly thick sauce but if you like it thinner add a bit more water.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, gills removed,1/2 inch slices
- 1 lb white mushroom, use large,1/2 inch slices
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine or 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 - 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine (butter's better)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Saute the onions& rosemary in 1 tbsp of oil until lightly browned apprx 10 minutes, remove from pan.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the pan, heat and add the mushrooms, saute until nicely browned- you may have to do 2 batches and add a bit of extra oil.
- Apprx 5 minutes.
- Return onions to the pan add remaining ingredients and simmer for apprx 12 minutes.
- Check your seasoning& serve.