Mushroom, Herb and Parsnip Pie
photo by Luschka
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 850 g parsnips, chunked
- 500 g potatoes, chunked
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 75 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 125 g closed cup mushrooms, halved
- 125 g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 4 flat mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250 ml red wine
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons milk
- cook the potatoes and parsnips in boiling salted water until tender. (about 15 mins).
- About 8 mins into cooking steam the carrot and leeks over the potato pan.
- Meanwhile heat the oil and 25g of the butter until foamy. add onion and cook for 5 minutes Add mushrooms and garlic and fry over a high heat for minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Add wine to mushrooms, along with stock, puree, cinnamon and bay leaves and bring to boil.
- Stir until sauce thickens and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat grill to high.
- Drain the potatoes and parsnips. Melt the remaining butter and gently fry the rosemary in it. Add the seasoned butter to the potatoes along with the milk. Mash until smooth.
- Add carrots and leeks to the mushroom mix and season.
- Place the mushroom mix in a large casserole dish and top with the mash. Grill until golden on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Under construction... How I rate... 5 stars - perfect, will make again without any changes. 4 stars - Liked it, will make again again but with changes. 3 stars - had to make major changes but got it to work. 2 stars - had to make major changes and it didn't work. 1 star - went terribly, a waste of time and ingredients, I cried, BF cried the cats cried you get the picture...