Mushroom Barley Soup
From the blog of Two Peas and their Pod. I made it and it was really good.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 (250 g) package white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 (10 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium pan, bring 4 cups of water and the 1 cup of barley to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is soft. You can make this the night before.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add the carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are soft. Add the vegetable broth, water, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked barley and cook for 15 minutes or so.
- Remove the bay leaves. before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This got rave reviews tonight as well as big second helpings being taken. I so glad that I made the full recipe because 3 people almost wiped it all out! It has lots if very well balanced flavor. It it's hearty enough to make a filling meal. If your also looking for something simple to make this is it. It sums up to a n easy and delicious soup that the family will love. Made for Photo Tag.Reply