Mushroom Asparagus Risotto With Crisped Chicken
I got this recipe from Food and Drink Magazine. It was created by Marilyn Bentz-Crowley, who says "This risotto is a delicious yin-yang combination of creamy rice and crispy chicken." An apt description! I love risotto :)
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup sweet onion, such as Vidalia, finely diced
- 1 1⁄3 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms or 4 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded cold cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat broth in a small saucepan, or in microwave, until just boiling. Keep hot over low heat.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add chopped onion; stir 3 to 5 minutes or until transparent. Then add rice all at once; stir 2 to 3 minutes or until coated and edges are becoming transparent. Add wine; stir until absorbed.
- Continue to slowly add 1/2 cup hot broth at a time; stir frequently with a wooden spoon until each is absorbed. This takes about 25 minutes. The rice ultimately is creamy and tender to the bite. Taste; add salt as needed.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus. Cover, turn heat to low and heat risotto for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until asparagus is cooked to your liking. Stir in Parmesan.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add shredded chicken; sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and crispy in spots.
- Heap risotto into warmed shallow soup bowl or deep plates. Add a stack of chicken in centre of risotto; sprinkle parsley over chicken. Serve with additional grated cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION