Mushroom and Swiss Chicken Skillet
photo by looneytunesfan
- Ready In:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup finely crushed butter flavored cracker (about 25 crackers, I use Ritz crackers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use seasoned salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- In a bowl slightly beat the egg.
- In another shallow bowl combine cracker crumbs with salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne.
- Dip chicken in egg allowing excess to drip off, then coat in the crumbs; set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet saute mushrooms in 2 tbsp butter until tender; remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet melt remaining 2 tbsp butter; add chicken and cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is done.
- Top each chicken breast with a ham slice, mushrooms, and a cheese slice.
- Broil for 4 inches from heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!