Mushroom and Spinach Side Dish
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 ounce dried funghi porcini (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, fresh
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon herb-seasoned salt
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- If you're using porcini mushrooms, put them in a dish with enough hot water to barely cover and let them soak for about 20 minutes.
- Wash and slice the fresh mushrooms and remove any tough stems.
- In a large pan with a cover, heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms, including the soaked porcini and the soaking liquid.
- Stir well, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and herb blend, cover and cook for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the baby spinach leaves to the mushroom mix. Stir to wilt them briefly, and the dish is ready to serve, or to store in the fridge for later use. You may want to add salt and pepper to taste but most people find it's not necessary.
Join The Conversation
Made this tonight with a few changes. Used a bag of fresh baby spinach and a large container of white mushrooms, didn't check amounts because I needed to use these things up. Doubled the garlic, as we do in just about every recipe, because we are all garlic lovers in this house. Turned out great. DD gave it a 3 star but it was expected, it is spinach after all. But we didn't need to fight w/her to eat it and that says a lot. Thanks for a wonderful side to our meal.
Wow!! This was delicious. Both my partner and I agreed that the fresh spinach was superior to both canned and frozen spinach. Wonderful, healthy side dish that only made two servings for the two of us (yea, we liked it that much). Served with balsamic vinegar on the side (which also helps with absorption of the iron in the spinach). Also used McCormich Grill Seasoning for the herb salt. Thanks!
Mushrooms... spinach! What's not to like! We had this for dinner the other night using spinach from our garden. We will definitely fix this again. Thank you so much for a tasty recipe! I just happened to have dried Porcini on hand, and olive oil and garlic keep use happy and healthy. It was wonderful. Thank you. We will make this again. Made for Spring 2008 PAC.