Mushroom and Spinach Quiche With Potato Crust
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb yukon gold potato, peeled and shredded
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach, bagged
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 ounce gruyere cheese, shredded in a food processor (or on the large holes of a grater)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie dish with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Toss potatoes with 1 teaspoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Press into an even layer in pie dish, up the sides like a crust. Bake until golden brown at the edges and dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining teaspoon oil and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms release their liquid and most of the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts, about 30 seconds. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Spread the mushroom mixture in an even layer in the pie dish, and top with an even layer of the cheese. Carefully pour in egg mixture. Bake until firm around the edges but still wobbly in the center, about 20 minutes. Let cool, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Join The Conversation
I baked the potato crust for 30 minutes, and the filling for 25 minutes. I used zucchini instead of spinach, and cheddar instead of gruyere since I had both on hand. I also had some bacon, so that went in and left out the salt and pepper. I feel the potato makes it more hearty and filling. I saw this on reruns and had to try it. Thanks for posting!
I used sweet potatoes, shredded with 2 eggs, 1 - 2 tblsp cornstarch. Once it glued together lined pie plate with mixture. Let cook about 15 main or dry to touch. Sauted asparagus and onion till tender, blended 18 eggs. Poured veg in crust topped with feta cheese. Bake until egg mixture is cooked. Can't wait to taste it.