Mushroom and Spinach Quiche in an Oat Crust
- Ready In:
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut up
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 eggs
- 10 ounces spinach (if frozen, thaw and squeeze dry)
- 1 ounce gruyere, grated (or swiss)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- For crust combine oats and bran, cut in butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives to coarse meal stage.
- Add water, stir just until moist.
- Press into a ball on wax paper and cover with more wax paper.
- Roll dough, still covered into 10 inch circle.
- Remove 1 sheet of wax paper and fit into a 9 inch greased pie plate. Remove other wax paper.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- For filling, put skillet on medium high heat and add a bit of oil. Add leak and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and put in bowl.
- Combine milk and everything else except the Gruyere in a blender and process until smooth. Add to mushroom mixture and stir well.
- Pour into crust and sprinkle with Gruyere.
- Bake 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
As I am in South Florida, I have many edible fruits and perennial veggies in my yard. So, I like to cook with them.