Mujadrah - Lentils and Rice
photo by Pismo
- Ready In:
- 1hr 2mins
- Sauté lentils briefly.
- Cover with 3 cups water/stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes while sautéing onions (and garlic if using cloves) till transparent or a little brown.
- Add rice to onions and sauté for a moment.
- Transfer onions and rice to lentils and add water to cover.
- Add lemon juice, spices to taste, stir.
- Bring to simmer, cover, let cook approximately 40--45 minutes (will take less time if using white rice) stirring occasionally.
- Add more lemon juice, spices if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum! Came out great! I used a brown rice medley from Trader Joe's. I used approx. 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp cumin and about 2 tablespoons lemon juice (give or take a half tbsp - I test tasted the broth as I went along). I did have to add another cup of water to it about 30 minutes into cooking. I also let it cook longer than stated, probably about an hour altogether to be sure all the liquid was soaked up. It was flavorful with a nice kick to it at the end of each bite!
This recipe is delicious! My husband and I really enjoyed it. It vaguely resembles dirty rice without the meat. We added some Slap Ya Mama seasoning to it for some extra kick. We did have to add another 15 minutes or so to the cook time or the rice would have been crunchy. We will eventually try adding some figs or seafood for a new twist. Very simple, easy to follow recipe!
This was good. I would have liked a little more guidance on the quantities of lemon juice and cumin, but I think I did alright. I ended up using the juice from 1 lemon and about 2-3 tsp. of cumin. I also used about 1/4 tsp. of cayenne. For some reason this took way longer than 45 minutes to cook. But, it turned out ok. Thanks!
I cooked this in hopes of impressing my Lebanese boater hunny bunny. What a mistake, I should have known by now he is impossible to please. According to him,they would never serve something like this in Lebanon, and non-Arab girls have no business attempting it. Did he say this to be the hateful person he naturally is or is this an overly americanized version of the dish? I don't know. Probably the first. I thought this dish was awesome. I shared it with several people who loved it. I put the leftovers in a wrap with some wheatberries. that was also pretty awesome.