MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A variation of the New Orleans classic. Always requested by our guests.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water (105 degrees)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 15 ounces unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces hard salami
- 6 ounces mortadella (imported preferred)
- 6 ounces prosciutto (imported preferred)
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese (non smoked is OK too)
- 1⁄2 cup green Italian olives
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional)
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 ounces pecorino romano cheese
- 2 ounces provolone cheese
- FOR THE CRUST---------.
- Combine yeast and water with a pinch of sugar and let yeast proof for 5 minutes or so.
- Place salt and flour in mixer and mix for 15 seconds or so to combine.
- Add yeast mixture, milk and oil and mix on low until just combined.
- Knead with dough hook until soft and pliable.
- Remove from mixer and knead by hand until dough is no longer sticky.
- Allow to rise (covered) in a warm place until doubled in size (about and hour).
- Punch dough down, cut in half, form into 2 balls, cover and let rise until doubled again (about 1/2 hour).
- Form dough on lightly oiled cookie sheets (9x13), dimple, coat lightly with olive oil, salt then bake at 500 degrees on a pizza stone until just starts to brown, about 7 minutes.
- FOR THE OLIVE SALAD-----------------.
- Chop olives, herbs, garlic and onions and combine with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- FOR THE FILLING---------------.
- Chop meats and mozzarella into 1/8" x 2" strips and place in a resealable freezer bag.
- Add olive salad, mix, shred hard cheeses and add to meat mixture.
- Add more olive oil if necessary.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Final assembly----------------.
- Place 1/2 of the filling on each crust and broil until cheese is bubbly.
- Protect edges of crust from burning with foil if desired.
- Variations: Use left over grilled sausage, leave out all or some of the meats, add any herbs that you like!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION