Posted for a request. This is one of the few cakes I bake. It's moist, dense and keeps well and comes from the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook Cakes and Slices.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 250 g butter
- 150 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄3 cup whiskey
- 4 teaspoons dry instant coffee
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Grease a 23cm slab pan, line the bottom with paper, grease the paper.
- Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, water, whisky and coffee in a double saucepan or a heatproof bowl, stir over hot water until the chocolate is melted and mixture smooth; cool to luke warm.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, stir in the sifted flours and cocoa, then the eggs.
- it's quite a thin batter, so don't panic!
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in a moderately slow oven for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Stand 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve dusted with sifted icing (confectioner's) sugar, and whipped cream if you wish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION