Mrs. Walker's Chicken and Rice Casserole from the 1960s
chicken and rice - kids LOVE this stick-to-your-ribs comfort food - great to make ahead, too...
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 -4 lbs frying chickens
- 1⁄3 cup flour, mixed with
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (dried is fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes (can be omitted)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Uncle Ben's converted brand rice
- Roll chicken in seasoned flour and saute in butter until golden brown.
- Mix soup, minced onion and seasonings in a saucepan.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup Uncle Ben's converted rice [it's better not to substitute this].
- Pour into 2-quart casserole dish. Top with sauteed chicken. Cover and bake.
- Check in 30 minutes and if rice is too dry, add more water.
- Bake another 30 minutes. Let rest 5-15 minutes.
- You can substitute vegetable flakes or celery seed for the celery flakes - but your family will love this so much, it'll be WORTH keeping celery flakes on hand.
- Also, you can use skinned chicken breasts and just fry those up - to speed up preparation.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION