Mrs. Macnab’s Scones
photo by Lalaloula
- Ready In:
- Set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Rub in the butter finely, using your hands or a pastry blender.
- Use a fork to beat together the egg and buttermilk. Add them to the flour mixture. Use the fork to gently mix in the liquid, scraping up from the bottom of the bowl, with a movement similar to the one used to fold in egg whites. Continue until all the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured surface and gently fold it over on itself two or three times.
- Cut the dough until four pieces and press each piece into a 5-inch disk. Place the disks on prepared baking sheets. Use a knife to cut each disk into quarters, but don’t separate the quarters.
- Bake the scones until they are well risen and deep golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh, lovely, these scones are so nice!!! They have a flaky interior with a nice crunchy crust on the outside and a yummy taste. I used a tad more milk to make the dough workable, but other than that your directions and ingredient amounts were perfect! Instead of cutting the dough into wedges, I used a glass to make round scones (just cause I find it easier). THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this superb recipe with us, coconutcream! Its a definite keeper! Made and reviewed while virtually visiting the British Isles in September 09.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a journalism and French major at the University of Georgia who discovered the joy of cooking a couple of years ago. I spend my summer vacations making dinner almost every night for my family, which includes my two younger sisters (11 and 14), and leap at the opportunity to cook every time I go home for a weekend visit...unfortunately, cooking in the dorms is more trouble than it's worth! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"><a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">