Mr Gregg's Easy Étouffée
photo by Mamas Kitchen Hope
- Ready In:
- 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb crawfish tail, cleaned, peeled and deveined
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large pot sauté yellow onion, green onion and bell pepper in butter until softened.
- Note: You can use any color pepper. I use half of a red and half of a yellow pepper to add color.
- Add soup and Rotel and stir to combine.
- Turn to simmer and stir occasionally. It can just hang out on the stove on low until you are ready or you can proceed with the next step.
- About 5 minutes before you are ready to eat add the shrimp and stir in to mix. If using crawfish add about 2 minutes before serving as they are already cooked.
- Serve with some plain white rice and some good crusty buttered bread and you have a meal- You could add a salad but then you couldn't eat as much of 'dis here!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a quick recipe so it will taste like canned! I used diced tomatoes(not rotele), added some horseradish, ketchup,sherry, honey,lemon,hot sauce,seafood seasoning, cracked pepper,lemon juice then served it over Cajun rice!!!! Mmmmmmm!! Works great as a base recipe for your imagination and skills! Have fun and make it your own!!
Easy recipe. I took another reviewer's suggestion and used 1 can cream of celery soup with 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Added some chopped celery with the onions and peppers and a little extra butter. This still takes like canned soup with crawfish tail added. None of my family and friends would want this again.
We thought this was really tasty, and it's very easy once you get the veggies chopped. I added a couple of stalks of celery, and I only used one can of cream of mushroom soup because that's all I had. I added a sprinkle or two of Tony Chachere's seasoning, served it over brown rice, and it was a great dinner. This is a perfect choice for a busy day when you want "real food" but don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Thanks for posting!
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Proud Zaar original member! Very disappointed with the new site.