A delicious recipe using eggplant and ground beef. Very healthy too.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 eggplants, unpeeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 g white onion, 1 slice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, fresh chopped
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounces tomatoes, canned, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry parmesan cheese, grated
- Place the eggplant slices on a coated baking sheet.
- Broil the eggplant until lightly browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Heat the milk, just as small bubbles start to form, in a saucepan with onion slice and bay leaf. Remove from heat and discard the onion and bay leaf.
- Sauté chopped onion.
- Add ground beef, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, pumpkin pie spice, red pepper, and pepper to the onions. Continue cooking over medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Drain meat on paper towels and wipe out skillet.
- Return the meat to the skillet and mix in the tomatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan and stir in the flour, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cooking for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Place half of the eggplant across the bottom of a coated 13 x 9 baking dish, then half of the meat mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour the milk sauce over top and spread on the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake dish for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION