Mother Wolff Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup dried lima beans, soaked overnight in water to cover or 1/2 cup dried lima beans, brought to a boil and then soaked for 1 hour
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice or 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced sliced or 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen)
- tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, combine the first 8 ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, adding more water if needed as the barley, uncooked rice and beans absorb water.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and celery in the oil for a few minutes. Add the paprika. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes or carrots, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for a few minutes, stirring often. Add the green beans and continue to simmer, covered, until vegetables are just tender. Set them aside.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup. Add the sauteed vegetables, the tomatoes, parsley (if using) and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer covered, on very low heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle out generous servings and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!