Moroccan Spiced Lentil Soup
This is fast and healthy!
- Ready In:
- 7 cups hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried brown lentils
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- In Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- Add lentils; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over Medium-High heat until hot.
- Add onions; cook 8-10 minutes or until edges of onions are brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions to lentils.
- If desired for additional flavor, pour about 1/2 cup of lentil liquid into skillet; scrape bottom and sides to remove any bits of browned onions.
- Add to lentil mixture.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Cover: cook 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was excellent! I made a few revisions, though: 1) I soaked the lentils for about 20-30 minutes 2) I didn't measure the spices, and eliminated the sugar. 3) I sauteed the garlic with the onions 4) Added 1 can of chickpeas. Thanks for the tip on adding lentil water to the skillet with the onions. Not only did it add great flavor, it also made cleanup a snap! Served with warm bread - delicious!