- Ready In:
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed san marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup beef stock
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
For the spicy tomato sauce:
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, then add the onions. Saute until soft and fragrant. Add the garlic and harissa and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in the broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then simmer the sauce for 10 minutes before finishing with the parsley.
For the meatballs:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, onions egg, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, curry powder and dried oregano. Shape the mixture into 35 meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add half of the meatballs and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining olive oil and meatballs. Serve warm with the spicy tomato sauce.
- Israeli couscous, rice or pita bread with yogurt sauce.
Instructions for freezing:
- After forming and browning the meatballs, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put into the freezer overnight. In the morning, remove the sheet tray, place the meatballs in a re-sealable plastic bag and return to the freezer until ready to use.
Instructions for reheating:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Remove the meatballs from the freezer and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the meatballs have cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!