Moroccan Chickpea Soup
This recipe has been posted here for play in ZWT9 - Morocco. This recipe is from : Good Food magazine, February 2005. A simple vegetarian soup, served with flatbread for your enjoyment.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 400 g plum tomatoes with garlic, chopped
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100 g frozen broad beans
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander or 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onion and celery gently for 10 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Tip in the cumin and fry for another minute.
- Turn up the heat, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a good grind of black pepper.
- Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Throw in broad beans and lemon juice, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste, then top with a sprinkling of lemon zest and chopped herbs.
- Serve with flatbread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
A tasty and comforting soup that we both enjoyed with your Moroccan bread Recipe #503137 for lunch the other day! I didn't have any broad beans, so I added carrots and I also added some Harissa spice mix for an authentic Moroccan flavour. Made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #86 and VERY much enjoyed thanks Ger! XXX
This is a keeper. I loved everything in it and you wouldn't know from the taste that it's so low fat and healthy. I used this recipe along with Recipe#503137 and Recipe#502928 to introduce friends to Moroccan cuisine. They were pleased and so was I. This is made with things that I usually have on hand and will surely be a repeat here.