photo by lets.eat
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs bulk sausage, mild or hot
- 8 slices bread, remove crusts
- 3⁄4 lb grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- In a large skillet, brown sausage; crumble and drain.
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Place bread (torn into bite-sized pieces) in bottom of dish.
- Place sausage on the top of bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- In a large bowl, mix beaten eggs, milk, salt, and dry mustard; blend well.
- Pour over the other ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, uncover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Slice into squares and serve warm.
- You may also add some ham, cut into bite-sized pieces, or crumble some bacon in it along with the sausage.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a very tasty casserole. I just made it today. I worried that it wouldn't come out well because I didn't make it last night (and let it sit in the fridge), but it was still wonderful! I added saute'd mushrooms and onions...nest time I'm going to try the Greek version someone recommended in another review. Thanks to Cathy and her beloved Grandma for the recipe...everyone here loved it! Definitely a keeper. :-)
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I LIVE IN EVANSTON, WYOMING.. I BABY SIT MY TWO GRANCHILDREN AND I AM A RADIO ANNOUNCER. I LIKE TO GO BOWLING AND DO CRAFT ITEMS , AND OR COURSE COOK,GO CAMPING,SURF THE INTERNET,GO TO YARD SELLS.. IM FUN TO BE AROUND, MY GRANDMA GOD REST HER SOUL TAUGHT ME HOW TO COOK AND HOW TO MAKE MEALS EVEN IF YOU HAVE LITTLE TO COOK WITH. WHICH REALLY COMES IN HANDY TO KNOW.