Moqueca De Camarao (Shrimp Stew - Brazil)
A very easy and quick shrimp dish from brazil.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons palm oil (dende)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs prawns, medium size, fresh, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red cayenne pepper, fresh
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Heat the oil, and stir fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and prawns, stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, tomatoes, parsley, pepper, cayenne and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a wonderful recipe! I made it for 20 people back in October for a fundraiser dinner with a Brazilian theme. It was a four-course dinner, and we RAN OUT of this stew. (I've thrown these dinners for years and never, ever ran out of anything!) People just kept eating it. I used tilapia rather than shrimp (it was a fundraiser, after all!) and I will always use tilapia now, because it was just raved about. I realized that I hadn't reviewed it when I came in to reprint it for dinner tomorrow! Thank you for a great recipe!Reply
We liked this.. maybe it's because shrimp have been on our menu a lot lately and there has been some stiff competition from other zaar recipes.. DH and I liked this a lot but it's not going to be in our mega favourites list. Yes we HAVE become harsh food critics. I used recipe#190959 to make the coconut milk and the resulting smell of this dish was excellent. It was just unexpected that the smell didn't translate enough to the taste as much as we expected... I did used dried coriander (cilantro) though becuase the supermarket was out of fresh.. and I WOULD like to give this recipe another go with fresh because that can often make a world of difference. Please see my Rating System.. I have given this 3 stars for now but will give this a second go with fresh coriander and if needs be will update my review. Thanks!1Reply