Moosewood Mushroom Sesame Tofu Stew
photo by Artemis Platts
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 cups sliced celery
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (12-ounce package)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups undrained canned whole tomatoes, chopped (18-ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons tahini or 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 (12 ounce) package tofu, pressed and cut into bite-sized pieces (see recipe description)
- 1 1 dash soy sauce or 1 dash hot sauce, to taste
- In a covered soup pot on high heat, cook the onions in the water, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the celery and continue to cook, covered, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add more water if the vegetables begin to stick. Add the mushrooms, lower the heat, and cook until the mushrooms begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves, ginger, and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tahini or peanut butter, add the tofu, and simmer on a heat diffuser or on very low heat for a few minutes more. Add salt, soy sauce, or hot sauce to taste; discard the bay leaves and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I first made this recipe as directed and found it bland. I tweaked it as follows: 1. Tripled the ginger 2. Added one can coconut milk. On half can works well also. 3. Added one can of sliced water chestnuts. 4. Used 1/2-1 cup of white wine in place of water/vegetable broth. With these tweaks, I really love this recipe. Thanks for posting!