photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 55mins
- 1⁄4 lb salted pork fat (scrunchions)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 -3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs moose, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 bottle red wine
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 1 small turnip, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- sliced potato bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sautee the scrunchions in a skillet over medium heat until the fat has rendered and they are golden brown. Add the onions, shallots and garlic and cook until soft. Transfer the mixture to a large roasting pan.
- Brown the moose in the skillet used for the scrunchions and transfer to the roasting pan.
- Add the wine, carrots, parsnips, turnip, thyme, bay leaves and 2/3 cup water to the roasting pan and sprinkle with the flour, salt and pepper.
- Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and cook the bourguignon in the oven until tender, about 2 hours.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve with the potato bread on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!