Moo Goo Gai Pan
photo by K9 Owned
- Ready In:
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule, instant
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup pea pods, fresh (snow peas)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 green onions (4 to 6)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Partially freeze chicken; thinly slice into bite-sized strips.
- In small mixing bowl stir together the water, soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch, honey, and instant chicken bouillon granules; mix well.
- Slice the drained water chestnuts; set aside.
- Halve the pea pods crosswise; set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms and the green onion; set aside.
- Grate 2 teaspoons gingerroot; set aside.
- Heat the oil in wok over high heat.
- Add the chicken to wok and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Add more oil, if necessary.
- Stir-fry water chestnuts, pea pods, mushrooms, green onions, and ginger for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok.
- Stir the bouillon mixture and stir into chicken.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cover and cook 2 minutes more or until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
*So much better than take-out* - and SO easy, especially with the clear, step-by-step instructions. Although this does serve four, the two of us nearly finished it since it was SO good! The only change I made was to marinate the chicken in sesame oil and shao xing (sherry) wine. This makes lots of delicious sauce so be sure to make some rice!
Very good recipe! Since I needed to feed 4 adults and 2 toddlers I added 3 chicken breasts, which worked just fine. The flavour was quite nice, but I felt something was missing. Next time I may add some garlic, and perhaps a tiny bit of chili sauce for kick. I'll make this again. Thanks lazyme for posting.
Yum! This recipe took me longer then 35 minutes, I had trouble with the sauce and it didn't thicken up. I knew if I worked with the recipe longer I would have had it right, but I ran out of time and had to leave to get to work, so the sauce was very runny. I increased the serving to use five chicken breast and I think that's what went wrong. I had to substitute the fresh snow peas to green beans because the snow peas were out of season, otherwise I kept to the recipe. Other then the sauce this recipe was delicious. I served it with steam rice. Thank you lazyme - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4*
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi and thanks for visiting my AM page. My name is Vicki and I love to cook. I've always been an avid collector of recipes and cookbooks - in fact I have over 1200 cookbooks on my computer alone.</p> 8724165"