Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- Ready In:
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam or 6 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 12 slices hearty white sandwich bread, lightly toasted
- 18 thin slices deli swiss cheese or 18 gruyere cheese
- 12 thin slices deli ham, preferably Black Forest
- 12 thin slices deli turkey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- Position oven rack in the upper-middle position; preheat to 450°.
- In a shallow dish (pie plate), whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, salt, dry mustard and cayenne together until combined.
- Stir the jam and dijon mustard together in a small bowl.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the jam mixture on one side of each slice of toast.
- Layer the slices of cheese, ham, and turkey on 6 slices of toast; repeat with a second layer of cheese, ham, and turkey.
- Add a final layer of cheese and top with the remaining toast, with the jam side facing the cheese.
- Using your hands, lightly press down on the sandwiches.
- Pour the oil onto a rimmed baking sheet and heat in the oven until just smoking, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using two hands, coat each sandwich with the egg mixture and transfer to a large plate.
- Transfer the sandwiches to the preheated baking sheet and bake until golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side, using a spatula to flip.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately with the remaining jam mixture for dipping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!