Monte Cristo Sandwich from Mama's
- Ready In:
- 8 slices white bread
- mayonnaise, as needed
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- ham steak, cut up and pan-fried
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- blackberry jam
- On a work surface, spread each slice of bread with mayonnaise. Top four slices with the 1 slice of Gouda and several pieces of fried ham steak. Use remaining slices to top ham and cheese slices to make four sandwiches.
- Using a knife, cut the crusts off the sandwich (this helps to pinch and seal the ends). Press sandwich flat with hands and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours. (Wrapping the sandwich in plastic wrap, compacts it, and prevents the egg batter from seeping in.).
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl.
- Unwrap the sandwiches and dip them in the egg batter, to coat evenly.
- Gently place each sandwich in the skillet (one or two at a time), and fry, turning once, until golden brown and hot, about 5 minutes total.
- Cut the Monte Cristos in 1/2, transfer to a place, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Spoon some jam on the side and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a SAHM who loves to cook for my small family! I have a 14 month old daughter, a wonderful husband, a seven year-old Keeshond and a cat named Rex Manly. I really just love this website! I visit it practically every weekday for ideas and recipes and try to always post a review of everything I make from Zaar. The only time I don't is when I have a negative reaction to a recipe that was due to my mistake or if I have substituted so many ingredients that it wouldn't be a fair review. Thanks to all of you wonderful cooks who have made me a better cook myself!