Mona's Newfoundland Fishcakes
- Ready In:
- 1 lb salt, cod bits
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon summer savory
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- butter or vegetable oil
- Cover salt fish with water, and soak 3-4 hours. Change water on fish, and boil gently for about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cook onion in 1/4 cup water until soft.
- Mash together fish, potatoes, and onion; add summer savory, pepper and beaten egg, and mix well. Form into patties, and coat lightly with flour.
- Fry in butter or vegetable oil over medium heat until crisp and golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.